I have been wanting to make these for weeks and I finally made them today and boy are they good. They are so filling, and they have a ton of stuff packed in there that is good for you. I found the original recipe here, but added some things and tweaked them to make them a little bit more to our liking. I made them for breakfast but they also make a great mid-day snack for the kids. Here is the rundown:
- 4 cups dry Old fashion Oats
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (i used the organic pastry variety)
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flax seed
- 1/2 cup raw sugar (you could also try agave nectar, that is what I am going to do next time!)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup oil (I used vegetable because it was all I had on hand, but any kind would work)
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup chopped almonds
Mix all the dry ingredients together until blended, add the cranberries and almonds and stir, and then add the wet ingredients and mix well until combined (I had to use my hands at the end to get it really well mixed).
Spread out in a greased 9×13 pan and bake at 350 for 20 min. Let them cool completely and then slice up. Store in refrigerator or freeze for easy use. I didn’t let mine cool before I ate one and it was really yummy all hot and gooey. Hope you try these and enjoy!